Apple Halwa is an Indian sweet that goes well as an evening snack or a good dessert. Apple Halwa served with Vanilla Ice Cream has been an all time favourite to Indians. Though the cooking time is pretty long the dish is very easy to make and also the ingredients used can be easily spotted in any kitchen. If you are having guests and you don't have the mood to go out shopping, then this dish comes for your help.
- Apple [Grated] - 3
- Boiled Milk - 1/2 Ltr
- Sugar - 1 Cup
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Milkmaid - 2 Tbsp (optional)
- Nuts and Raisins to Garnish
- Take a deep frying pan and add 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add grated apple to it and fry until the raw smell goes or until the water evaporates completely. This might take 10-15 mins.
- Add milk to this and keep stirring continuosly. Let the flame be on high throughout, else this will consume a lot of time.
- Keep adding sugar and keep stirring until this has little water as shown in the pic below. It might take 45 mins to get to this consistency.
- At this stage you can lower the flame and add 2 tbsp of milkmaid. If you want it to be very sweet you can add more according to your taste.
- Keep stirring until all water evaporates and the mixture is as thick as a halwa.
- Now you can fry nuts and raisins in ghee or just use plain nuts and raisins [as I have used] to garnish.
Serves - 4
- You can use red apples if you like the taste of plain sweet or if you are a fan of tangy tastes [like the one in rasagollas] you can use green apples.
- After grating the apples if you mind the change in colour, add few drops of lemon juice. Anyway the colour will change while cooking.
♥ Aarthi ♥