Pages

Thursday 1 May 2014

Aloo Mattar / Potato Peas Masala : Side Dish

It is so coincidental that my previous recipe was Gobi Mattar and today I will be sharing the recipe of Aloo Mattar. Day by day my cooking gets better - You have to trust me ;) and now I believe it is all about practice that makes a dish perfect. This is not the first time I am making Aloo Mattar but it tasted the best this time, so I had to share the recipe here. I really do not update here often but every time I come here I tell myself that I have to be regular. Hoping for the best I shall share the recipe right away :)

P.S - I didn't intend to do the post when I actually started making this curry, so do bear with the silly pic.


Aloo Mattar Masala



Ingredients
  • Onion - 2 Medium Sized
  • Tomato - 2 Medium Sized
  • Potato / Aloo - 3 Medium Sized
  • Green Peas / Mattar - Half a Cup
  • Cashew - 5-6
  • Coriander Leaves - To Garnish
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 tbsp
  • Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 tbsp
  • Turmeric - 1/4 tbsp
  • Chilli Powder - 11/2 tbsp
  • Coriander Powder - 21/2 tbsp
  • Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tbsp
  • Salt - To Taste
  • Water - 1 Cup
  • Oil - 2 tbsp


Cooking Method
  • Finely chop the onions and keep it aside.
  • Blend the tomatoes in a mixer and make it into a smooth paste. 
  • Do the same with cashews and keep the cashew paste aside.
  • Pressure cook potatoes with 3-4 whistles and boil green peas separately until it becomes soft.
  • Take a pan and add oil, once the oil gets heated up add the cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste and finely chopped onions.
  • Fry the onions well, until they turn golden brown. Then add the tomato puree and let is boil for a while. You have to wait until the puree changes color. It will turn more reddish from orange.
  • Then add the cashew paste and close the lid for 2 minutes. 
  • Now add all the powders mentioned above along with salt. Add water too and give it a nice mix for all the flavour to blend well.
  • Now add the potatoes [after peeling the skin and chopping them into big cubes] and green peas to the masala. It would smell yumm already. 
  • Give it a stir and with the lid on wait for another few minutes for the masala to get into the potatoes and green peas. It would have become a thick curry by now.
  • Switch off the stove and garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves.


Total Preparation Time - 20 minutes
Serves - 4


Tips
  • Don't skip the cashew paste as it gives an amazing taste to the whole dish. 
  • You can use ready made ginger garlic paste. My favorite is 777 ginger garlic paste and I use it in all my dishes.

Aloo Mattar - as the name says [Potato Peas in Hindi] is a North Indian side dish that goes well with chappathis, rotis and parathas. I have had a lot of South Indian food [being a South Indian myself] and might be that made me a fan of North Indian dishes - you could see that for yourself in this space !



♥ Aarthi ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome here :)