Pages

Saturday 1 November 2014

South Indian Chicken Curry / Chicken Pulusu : Side Dish

I was never comfortable making non vegetarian dishes in my kitchen and so we always have it only when we go out for lunch/dinner. My daughter turned out to be a fan of chicken curry and she wanted it at least once a week. I didn't have an option but to start making non-veg dishes at home. I started with this simple chicken curry and it turned out good for the very first time itself. Now it has become a routine that I make chicken curry every Sunday !

Chicken Curry / Chicken Pulusu - South Indian Style



Ingredients
  • Chicken - 1/2 kg
  • Onion - 2 [large]
  • Tomato - 2 [medium]
  • Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 Tbsp
  • Cinnamon - 1 small stick
  • Clove - 2
  • Turmeric - 1 Tsp
  • Oil - 4 Tbsp
  • Chicken Masala - 4 to 5 Tbsp
  • Chilli Powder - 1 Tbsp (optional)
  • Salt - To Taste
  • Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig
  • Coriander - For Garnishing
  • Water - 5 cups.

To Make Paste
  • Coconut - 1/2 Cup
  • Fennel Seeds - 1 Tbsp



Cooking Method
  • Clean the chicken well and make them into slices. Add little turmeric and ginger garlic paste and mix well with the raw chicken. Keep it aside for 30 mins. 
  • Grind coconut and fennel seeds in to a fine paste and keep that aside too.
  • Take oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cloves and then curry leaves. 
  • Then add the onions and saute until they turn color. Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute them until the raw smell goes.
  • Add tomatoes and cook them until they become mushy. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and chicken masala.
  • Add the chicken and mix them well with the masala. 
  • Add water to it and close the pan with a lid. Let the chicken cook well for 30 mins.
  • Add the coconut paste and again let the chicken cook for another 15 minutes. 
  • Turn the stove off and add finely chopped coriander to garnish.

Total Preparation Time - 1 hr
Serves - 2 to 3


Tips
  • Marinating the chicken makes the flavor better and it sinks in the chicken well too. If you are running out of time you can skip this step.
  • Adding the coconut paste enhances the flavor of the chicken to a great extent.
  • If you like the masala flavor you can even add 2 more cloves and bay leaf and 2 cardamom too.
  • Add water as per your desire. I like a lot of gravy so I add 5 cups.
  • I like the curry more spicy so I add extra chilli powder. 
  • I use home-made chicken masala powder but you can add the ones available in the shops. I will try sharing the recipe of the Chicken Masala Powder sometime in the blog.

This delicious chicken curry is very easy to make and I make it every weekend. Do try it and let me know how you liked it.


♥ Aarthi ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome here :)