I was never comfortable making non vegetarian dishes in my kitchen and so we always have it only when we go out for lunch/dinner. My daughter turned out to be a fan of chicken curry and she wanted it at least once a week. I didn't have an option but to start making non-veg dishes at home. I started with this simple chicken curry and it turned out good for the very first time itself. Now it has become a routine that I make chicken curry every Sunday !
|Chicken Curry / Chicken Pulusu - South Indian Style|
- Chicken - 1/2 kg
- Onion - 2 [large]
- Tomato - 2 [medium]
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon - 1 small stick
- Clove - 2
- Turmeric - 1 Tsp
- Oil - 4 Tbsp
- Chicken Masala - 4 to 5 Tbsp
- Chilli Powder - 1 Tbsp (optional)
- Salt - To Taste
- Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig
- Coriander - For Garnishing
- Water - 5 cups.
To Make Paste
- Coconut - 1/2 Cup
- Fennel Seeds - 1 Tbsp
- Clean the chicken well and make them into slices. Add little turmeric and ginger garlic paste and mix well with the raw chicken. Keep it aside for 30 mins.
- Grind coconut and fennel seeds in to a fine paste and keep that aside too.
- Take oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cloves and then curry leaves.
- Then add the onions and saute until they turn color. Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute them until the raw smell goes.
- Add tomatoes and cook them until they become mushy. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and chicken masala.
- Add the chicken and mix them well with the masala.
- Add water to it and close the pan with a lid. Let the chicken cook well for 30 mins.
- Add the coconut paste and again let the chicken cook for another 15 minutes.
- Turn the stove off and add finely chopped coriander to garnish.
Total Preparation Time - 1 hr
Serves - 2 to 3
- Marinating the chicken makes the flavor better and it sinks in the chicken well too. If you are running out of time you can skip this step.
- Adding the coconut paste enhances the flavor of the chicken to a great extent.
- If you like the masala flavor you can even add 2 more cloves and bay leaf and 2 cardamom too.
- Add water as per your desire. I like a lot of gravy so I add 5 cups.
- I like the curry more spicy so I add extra chilli powder.
- I use home-made chicken masala powder but you can add the ones available in the shops. I will try sharing the recipe of the Chicken Masala Powder sometime in the blog.
This delicious chicken curry is very easy to make and I make it every weekend. Do try it and let me know how you liked it.
♥ Aarthi ♥